Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lots of potential

There remains a lot of un-mined potential for the internet-- especially when it comes to promoting the common welfare of its many denizens. However, I see the internet sapping a way a lot of time for a lot o people who merely browse instead of planting solid roots. Instead of being passive, we have the ability to make sure the internet is working for us. I promise that this blog will not become a top ten site. I hate those with a passion. I will try to keep things positive-- after all, most of what we hear on more conventional media channels tends to be negative in some fashion. Because lets face it, fear sells. And that’s ok, but I think that we can do better. And it has to begin with us.

I'm Ron and I go to new college of Florida. I will for another year or so, and I'm majoring in sociology. I'm 21 and used to be extremely politically active. I'm getting back into the swing of things, and I think that a blog will help me to figure a couple of things out. I encourage discussion, debates, and to some extent argumentation. This should be, at the very least, some fun.

Back to what I was originally getting at, I believe that we deserve better. Being hyper aware of ourselves has led to unhappiness, and I think that a system that runs on peoples feelings of inadequacies exploits in the most harmful ways. I don't mean to say that everyone is alright the way they are, because lets face it, some people do awful things (intentional or not). But American culture tends to really get inside of our heads at the worst times, making us feel unworthy. Sapping us of our confidence, and our will to be proactive about our lives. We let ourselves be told that a lot of things are out of reach, or out of our control, but that’s asinine.

Once our will fades things can only get worse. I'm not even calling for a concerted effort to do something grand. Because change always starts with the small things. Going for walks. Turning off the tv and talking to new people. Being proactive. To illustrate my point, Luck, something which has been mystified for ages was found to be merely an outlook on life. When others advocate making your own luck, they aren't kidding. http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=483

So its time to grab a little bit of life. And make our time here worthwhile. Lets make some meaning. Lets do something beautiful.

As Remey once wrote, "Let the beauty we love be the beauty we do."


-Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment