Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Getting ready for ABQ

Tomorrow, I get to go see Kacie. And it is going to be good. I've been doing my best not to think about how much I miss her, but the last few days have dragged on forever.
Mom took me to see Public Enemies. It was alright, I suppose. Fairly mediocre, considering the awesome cast. However, I suppose I've never been that into the glamour of gangster life. Robin hood was appealing to me, because he stole for a cause, and he was hella subversive. However, in the Media portrayal of gangster life, they live overglorified lavish lifestyles by being (largely) cold hearted murderers that institutionalize the black market, making it in such a way as to have complete control over it. They don't want control for benevolent reasons, like Robin Hood, but instead to insure their source of power. And whats the best social format for retaining power over an indefinite amount of time than an institutionalized one?

Prostitution rings, drugs, and so forth are being institutionalized by criminal organizations (instead of governmental onces) that create their own laws (and subsequently take the enforcement of their laws into their own hands).
Gangsters, and their types of group organizations are the reason why drugs get (incorrectly) associated with violence. Not that I'm blaming gangsters for this association, because its certainly the media that conflates the issue, but they play their part.

At the heart of the issue, I don't believe that drug disputes automatically leads to violence. I have plenty of circumstantial evidence to support this, as well as the backing of a few sociological studies which the government sponsored. While drugs happen to hold the focus and attention of the media, the violence could have been attributed to anything. This type of association falls into the classic logical fallacy, just because A) came before B) doesn't mean that A) caused B). Explaining gang violence by looking at drugs, or by looking at turf battles (although that is leaps and bounds closer to the truth), or by looking at honor killings often overlooks the socioeconomic conditions which makes that type of group organization a feasible option in daily life.

Dads making eggs and potatoes. Its a good breakfast. Gotta go eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment